Friday, December 7, 2012

Carrot Cake

Baking up another batch of carrot cupcakes today for my niece's birthday.  She personally requested it.  I suspect not so much for the cake, more for the icing.

And I couldn't find the recipe for the Cream Cheese icing from CI.  The one that they added buttermilk powder to stiff it up.  I love cream cheese icing, who doesn't, but it's always been too soft for piping on cupcakes.  Until this frosting recipe from CI.

I thought I already put the recipe here, given that I've made it only about hundreds of times.  But nope.  Had to dig through tons of copies of CI magazines to find the frosting recipe again.  The carrot cake recipe is from The Cooking Photographer.  Everyone loves that carrot cake, so I'm keeping it.

Carrot Cake
   2 cups all purpose flour
   2 tsp baking soda
   2 tsp cinnamon
   1/2 tsp salt

   3 eggs
   3/4 cup oil
   3/4 cup buttermilk
   2 cups sugar
   2 tsp vanilla extract

   1 8-oz can crushed pineapple
   2 cups shredded carrot
   1 cup unsweetened coconut
   1 cup chopped nuts.

For cupcakes, bake at 350F for 18-22 minutes.

Frosting
   16 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
   3 cups (12 ounces) confectioners' sugar
   1/3 cup buttermilk powder
   2 tsp vanilla extract
   1/4 tsp salt
   12 ounces cream cheese, chilled and cut into 12 equal pieces


No comments:

Post a Comment