Thursday, October 25, 2012

Chap Chae - Korean Noodles with Beef and Vegetables

I made this recipe without the beef so my Dad, a vegetarian, can try it.  It was good.  The sauce was a bit too sweet as is.

My older sister wanted a light taste with less sauce.  My younger sister thought the lack of sauce made the dish a bit tasteless.  My Dad thought the sauce too sweet, etc.  My Mom is always the sweetest person in the world who never says anything unpleasant, so she didn't comment at all.  It's hard to make a new dish in a house full of critics.  But I love them all.  :-)

3 Tbsp canola oil
2 cups julienned carrots
Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
2 cups thinkly sliced onions
1 cup julienned red bell pepper
1 cup julienned button mushrooms
1 cup julienned filet mignon
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup sugar
16 oz dried Korean sweet potato noodles (called dangmyeon), soaked in boiling hot water until al dente.
2 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
2 Tbsp thinly sliced scallions
1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds


Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a skillet over medium high heat; Add carrots.  Season with salt and pepper; cook; stirring until half-tender, about 3 minutes.
Transfer to a large bowl; repeat with 1 Tbsp oil, onions, peppers, and mushrooms.
Wipe skillet clean, heat remaining oil.  Add steak and garlic, cook until browned, about 4 minutes.
Add soy sauce and sugar; cook until sugar dissolves.
Pour over vegetables in bowl, add noodles and sesame oil, and toss.
Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.



I didn't have time to take a picture of the final product, because everyone was already hungry, so all you have are the pictures of the julienned vegetables.

Remember to drain the vegetables before mixing or the dish could be too wet (like my husband did the next day).  This time, I didn't want to take a picture!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment