Thursday, September 13, 2012

Artisan Bread in 5 minutes

Follow my success with the focaccia bread, I started reading more about bread making.
Someone mentioned the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.
Read it.
No, not the entire book.  Just enough to get started on the recipe.

And I got so confused.

I now got into the habit of weighing my ingredients, not measuring them anymore.
So I tried to convert the recipe into weight.

The author's conversion in this article on his website is different from other source(s).   And I ran out of AP flour and wanted to use bread flour, but not sure of what changes I needed to do.  So I was glad that he provided the hydration percentage.

For most unbleached AP flours (Gold Medal, etc.):  75% hydration
King Arthur AP:  81% hydration
Bread flour:  83% hydration
High-gluten flour:  85% hydration.

So I started my dough with...

700g bread flour
581g warm water
2 teaspoons yeast (I didn't use the whole 1.5 Tablespoons yeast called for in the recipe).
2 teaspoons salt.

The dough has been sitting out for over an hour.
Will bake it tomorrow and update.

I baked it.  It was.. a bit of a downer.  It wasn't bad, but wasn't great.  I didn't even bother to take a picture of the inside.  It wouldn't be qualified for "artisan."


The slashing was horrible I know.  It was my first time slashing, and I didn't have a sharp knife so I used a steak knife.

I also use the dough to make Cinnamon Rolls.  Again, disappointing.

Not sure if I would try it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment